Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Soup Bar

As a working Mom dinner sometimes is my enemy. The dread sets in about 4pm on workdays and quandary begins in my head on what to pull together to feed my family.

Most of the time I'm missing an ingredient for what I want to make and other times I'm just plain lacking the will.


My newest attempt at making sure I get something healthy and tasty on the table on those nights while giving my stress level a break is the "bars".
I'm making three tasty meals on one day and presenting them bar style for several days in the same week. This week is was the Soup Bar.



I made my French Onion Soup, Baked Potato Soup and Cincinnati style Chili . Every work night this week I can throw together a salad or sandwich and my boys can pick a different soup to have.



One bigger cooking day really does payoff for an easier dinner week. And is possible when your little guy plays quietly in the playroom/craft room next to you.



Now instead of rushing home after picking up the boys to make dinner before the hubby gets home, I can head to the library instead with them for a an hour or so of fun before coming home to warm up dinner!

I love it! Next week I think I'll do taco bar with different kinds of meats and fixings. The possibilities really are endless.

This often hot-mess Mama is a little less a hot-mess this week.


My Fabulous French Onion Soup recipe is here. I use this Baked Potato Soup recipe.

And here is my Cincinnati Chili recipe that never disappoints:



Cincinnati Chili

1 can of tomato juice
1 lb. ground beef
1 whole onion chopped
3 large cloves garlic
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can light red kidney beans
1 can chili beans
1 packet chili seasoning
1 tbsp cinnamon

Brown ground beef with the onion and then drain grease. Return to heat. Crush 3 cloves garlic into ground beef. Add tomato juice, cans of beans and tomatoes. Let simmer on med-high for a 10 minutes. Add packet of chili seasoning and cinnamon and let simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream.


I serve my chili with corn casserole from Haus of Girls that I learned about from one of my favorite blogs Joy's Hope. We eat it on the side or spooned into the chili which is the way I prefer it.

All of it tastes especially lovely in my pedestal bowls:)







Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I totally LUV comments!